You can always count on Brooklyn – a low-sodium start to the day is assured with these tasty apricot breakfast snacks!
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 24 cookies
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 2/3 cup dried chopped apricots
- Preheat your oven to 350°F fan-forced (175°C).
- Meanwhile, take a big bowl and combine your baking powder, brown sugar and both types of flour together. Whisk it in order to blend it all together.
- Add in your almond extract, honey, canola oil, milk, and eggs, and use a wooden spoon to mix the dough together. Now add in your almonds and apricots and mix.
- Dust your hands with flour and knead the dough to combine the ingredients together well.
- Place your dough out on a piece of plastic wrap and shape it with your hands into a flattened log about 12 inches long. Grab each end of the plastic wrap and flip your dough log over onto a baking sheet.
- Place your baking sheet into the oven and let it bake for 20 minutes, or until the dough turns a light brown color. When it is done, move it over to a different baking sheet and let it cool for another 10 minutes. Leave your oven on.
- Place your log onto a cutting board and use a serrated knife to cut through it crosswise to create 24 pieces.
- Arrange the pieces on a baking sheet and let them bake for another 5 minutes, or until they become crisp.
- Move to a wire rack and allow them to cool down completely before serving.
Fiber: 1g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Carbohydrate: 11g | Sodium: 20mg
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Salt-lite… in 30 Minutes!, which is available below!
This life-changing low-salt cookbook will show you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT USING DIET TO REDUCE YOUR CHANCES OF STROKE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEART ATTACK, and still keeping the TASTE in every single meal you eat! It includes a complete two-week flexible DASH Diet meal planner with 54 recipes for FULL-FLAVORED low-salt breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts! More info →