Empire State Cobbler
Few desserts complete a family meal better than a cobbler. The apples and blueberries in this low-salt recipe give it a delicate flavor that you’ll remember with pleasure!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 8
- 2 peeled and sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 ounces Blueberries
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 400°F fan-forced (205°C). Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- For your filling: While the oven is heating up, combine your apple slices with some lemon juice in a bowl.
- In another bowl combine your cinnamon, cornstarch, and sugar. Add this mixture to your apple bowl (from step 2) and then toss it all together to mix. Stir in your blueberries before spreading the whole mixture over the bottom of your baking dish. Set it aside for now.
- For your topping: Combine your salt, baking powder, sugar, and flours in a bowl. Using a fork, cut your margarine in with the dry ingredients so it starts to look ‘crumbly’. Add your vanilla and milk and then stir so that a moist dough starts to form.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a prepared work surface and knead your dough 8 times, so that it becomes smooth and easy to manage. Roll your dough out into a rectangle with a rolling pin, then cut it into shapes with a cookie cutter. Gather up the scraps and then roll it out again to cut more shapes.
- Place these pieces of dough over your fruit mixture so that it is completely covered in a layer of pastry.
- Bake your apples for about 25 minutes so they become tender and the topping turns a golden color. Serve warm.
Fiber: 4g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Carbohydrate: 37g | Sodium: 202mg
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Salt-lite… in 30 Minutes!, which is available below!
This life-changing low-salt cookbook will show you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT USING DIET TO REDUCE YOUR CHANCES OF STROKE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEART ATTACK, and still keeping the TASTE in every single meal you eat! It includes a complete two-week flexible DASH Diet meal planner with 54 recipes for FULL-FLAVORED low-salt breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts! More info →