Gumbo is the perfect slow-cooked gluten-free meal. Cooking it for an extended period of time at low temperatures allows all the tastes from the mix of vegetables and fish to combine and enhance each other – the final dish is fantastic! It also has a wonderfully thick consistency which makes it a great match with rice or gluten-free quinoa.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 8 hours | Servings: 8
- ½ pound (220g) shrimps, peeled and de-veined
- 2 gluten-free chicken sausages, sliced
- 4 cod fillets (1kg), cubed
- 1¼ cups (250g) rice
- 1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 2 salmon fillets, cubed
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a skillet and stir in your gluten-free chicken sausages. Sauté these for about 2 minutes, then transfer your sausages to your slow cooker.
- Now add your cod, salmon, onion, garlic, bell peppers, rice, tomatoes and stock to your crockpot.
- Drop in your bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook your gumbo on ‘low’ for 6 hours, then throw in your shrimps. Cook for an additional 2 hours.
- Serve your gumbo warm, topped with chopped cilantro.
Calories: 308 Fat: 8.4g Protein: 28.8g Carbohydrates: 28.3g | Fiber: 1.6g | Sugar: 2.5g
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Gluten-free… 101 Crockpots!, which is available below!
YOUR ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO FANTASTIC SLOW-COOKED GLUTEN-FREE MEALS COOKED WHILE YOU SLEEP! Want to create delicious gluten-free soups, roasts, breakfasts, bread and casseroles with ease? Then you will LOVE this simple stress-free guide to gluten-free crockpot cooking! Includes easy step-by-step instructions, cooking tips and simple recipes for 101 original and scrumptious gluten-free slow-cooked crockpot feasts while you sleep! BONUS: EXTRA COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →
YOUR ULTIMATE GUIDE TO FANTASTIC GLUTEN-FREE DESSERTS AND SLOW-COOKED GLUTEN-FREE MEALS COOKED WHILE YOU SLEEP! This bundle of three cookbooks is full of delicious recipes for gluten-free soups, roasts, breakfasts, bread and casseroles, pies, muffins, brownies and puddings with ease. You will LOVE this simple stress-free guide to gluten-free cooking which includes more than 250 step-by-step, delicious and simple recipes while saving you 50%! BONUS: EXTRA XMAS RECIPE COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →