All-American Buttermilk Brownies
Buttermilk has a really tangy flavor, and it also makes these gluten-free brownies incredibly moist. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, mix the same amount of milk with 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice – it will turn into buttermilk in a few minutes!
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Serves: 16
- ½ cup (105g) butter, cubed
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- ½ cup (50g) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (100g) sweet rice flour
- 1 cup (100g) teff flour (Teff is an ancient grain with amazing health benefits!)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 330°F fan-forced (165°C) and line a square pan with parchment paper.
- Combine your butter, water and cocoa powder in a saucepan and cook over a medium flame for 5 minutes, or until it begins to thicken.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool completely.
- Add your buttermilk and eggs and mix well, then stir in the sweet rice flour, teff flour, salt and baking powder.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until your brownies pass the toothpick test (this is when you can poke a toothpick into one of the brownies and nothing sticks to the toothpick when you pull it back out).
- Cut your brownies into small squares only when they are cool to the touch.
Energy: 118 cal (496Kj) | Fat: 7.1g | Protein: 2.9g |Carbohydrates: 13g
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Gluten-Free…101 Desserts!, which is available below!
YOUR ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO CREATING MOUTH-WATERING GLUTEN-FREE DESSERTS IN NO TIME AT ALL! Would you like to whip up inspiring gluten-free pies, muffins, brownies and puddings without raising a sweat? Then you are going to LOVE this no-fuss stress-free gluten-free dessert cookbook! Includes simple step-by-step instructions, cooking tips and clearly-formatted easy-to-read recipes for 101 original and scrumptious gluten-free desserts in no time at all! BONUS: EXTRA COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →
YOUR ULTIMATE GUIDE TO FANTASTIC GLUTEN-FREE DESSERTS AND SLOW-COOKED GLUTEN-FREE MEALS COOKED WHILE YOU SLEEP! This bundle of three cookbooks is full of delicious recipes for gluten-free soups, roasts, breakfasts, bread and casseroles, pies, muffins, brownies and puddings with ease. You will LOVE this simple stress-free guide to gluten-free cooking which includes more than 250 step-by-step, delicious and simple recipes while saving you 50%! BONUS: EXTRA XMAS RECIPE COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →