Sydney Blueberry Pavlova
Pavlova is an Australian gluten-free dessert created in honor of ballet dancer Anna Pavlova. It’s an airy, light, versatile treat, but tastes best when combined with tangy, refreshing toppings such as lemon curd or blueberries.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 2 hours | Serves: 6
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup (200g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (10g) cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¼ cup (55g) butter
- 2 cups (300g) fresh berries
- Preheat your oven to 195°F fan-forced (100°C) and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- For your pavlova: In a bowl, combine the egg whites with your lemon juice and salt.
- Mix (with an electric mixer) until stiff and fluffy then gradually stir in your sugar, mixing for at least 5 additional minutes, to form a stiff, glossy meringue.
- Stir in your vanilla extract and cornstarch, then spoon the meringue into your prepared pan, shaping the top into a nice round dome.
- Bake your pavlova in the oven for 2 hours, or until it is dry and crisp.
- Remove it from the oven when done. Transfer your cooked pavlova onto a platter. Let it cool completely.
- For your lemon curd: In a heatproof bowl, combine the egg yolk with your sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and butter.
- Put your bowl of curd in the microwave on high power for 30 seconds at a time, mixing well after each ‘zap’. Continue cooking for 30 seconds at a time until your lemon curd thickens.
- Let your curd cool completely, then top the pavlova with the lemon curd and fresh berries.
- Serve your gluten-free desserts fresh.
Energy: 371 cal (1558Kj) | Fat: 11g | Protein: 4.7g | Carbohydrates: 66.2g
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Gluten-Free…101 Desserts!, which is available below!
YOUR ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO CREATING MOUTH-WATERING GLUTEN-FREE DESSERTS IN NO TIME AT ALL! Would you like to whip up inspiring gluten-free pies, muffins, brownies and puddings without raising a sweat? Then you are going to LOVE this no-fuss stress-free gluten-free dessert cookbook! Includes simple step-by-step instructions, cooking tips and clearly-formatted easy-to-read recipes for 101 original and scrumptious gluten-free desserts in no time at all! BONUS: EXTRA COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →