Harvard Poached Pears
Few gluten-free fruit desserts are as elegant as these stunning poached pears! They are exquisite, and even the fussiest eaters will love them. Here is one Harvard class anyone can graduate!
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Serves: 6
- 6 ripe but firm brown pears
- 2 cups (500ml) dry white wine
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 pinch salt
- Crčme fraiche for serving
- Combine your wine, water, sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, saffron and salt in a deep pot. Bring it all to a boil.
- Carefully peel each of your pears and remove the cores. As you peel them, drop your pears in the hot wine syrup.
- Lower the heat and put a lid over the pot. Cook your pears for 20 minutes, then remove the lid and cook them for 20 additional minutes.
- When done, turn the heat off and allow your pears to cool completely in the syrup.
- To serve, place your pears onto plates and place a few spoonfuls of syrup and a dollop of crčme fraiche on each. If you’re feeling adventurous you can replace the crčme fraiche with gluten-free ice cream!
Energy: 300 cal (1260Kj) | Fat: 0.3g | Protein: 0.8g | Carbohydrates: 67g
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Gluten-Free…101 Desserts!, which is available below!
YOUR ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO CREATING MOUTH-WATERING GLUTEN-FREE DESSERTS IN NO TIME AT ALL! Would you like to whip up inspiring gluten-free pies, muffins, brownies and puddings without raising a sweat? Then you are going to LOVE this no-fuss stress-free gluten-free dessert cookbook! Includes simple step-by-step instructions, cooking tips and clearly-formatted easy-to-read recipes for 101 original and scrumptious gluten-free desserts in no time at all! BONUS: EXTRA COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →