Groom Lake Meatballs
Groom Lake is where you’ll find secret air-force base Area 51 (… or will you?). Forget aliens or government secrets – the big conspiracy is how these slow-cooked gluten-free meatballs taste so good! And yes, these tender meatballs have a secret ingredient – they are inspired by Turkish lamb kebabs, except that they are cooked in a ketchup sauce and served with spaghetti or mashed vegetables.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 7½ hours | Servings: 6
- 2 pounds (900g) ground lamb
- 1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500ml) gluten-free ketchup
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 4 dried apricots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a bowl, mix your lamb, shallot, mint, almonds, apricots, garlic and egg.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then form small meatballs. Cover them and put aside for later.
- In your crockpot, combine the tomatoes, ketchup, bay leaf, vinegar and honey and place your meatballs in the sauce.
- Cook the meatballs on ‘low’ for 7½ hours.
- Serve your meatballs warm, topped with plenty of sauce.
Fiber: 3g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Carbohydrate: 24g |Sodium: 20mg
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Gluten-free… 101 Crockpots!, which is available below!
YOUR ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO FANTASTIC SLOW-COOKED GLUTEN-FREE MEALS COOKED WHILE YOU SLEEP! Want to create delicious gluten-free soups, roasts, breakfasts, bread and casseroles with ease? Then you will LOVE this simple stress-free guide to gluten-free crockpot cooking! Includes easy step-by-step instructions, cooking tips and simple recipes for 101 original and scrumptious gluten-free slow-cooked crockpot feasts while you sleep! BONUS: EXTRA COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →
YOUR ULTIMATE GUIDE TO FANTASTIC GLUTEN-FREE DESSERTS AND SLOW-COOKED GLUTEN-FREE MEALS COOKED WHILE YOU SLEEP! This bundle of three cookbooks is full of delicious recipes for gluten-free soups, roasts, breakfasts, bread and casseroles, pies, muffins, brownies and puddings with ease. You will LOVE this simple stress-free guide to gluten-free cooking which includes more than 250 step-by-step, delicious and simple recipes while saving you 50%! BONUS: EXTRA XMAS RECIPE COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →