Jacksonville Bell Peppers
Cooked in ketchup, these slow-cooked gluten-free stuffed bell peppers are juicy and absolutely delicious! The main ingredients in this dish are ground chicken and rice, which not only create a filling meal but a wonderful flavor you won’t soon forget. These peppers are best served with plenty of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped jalapeno peppers!
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 8½ hours | Servings: 8
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 8 red bell peppers
- 2 cups (500ml) gluten-free ketchup
- ½ cup (100g) white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 2 bay leaves
- For your filling: Heat your olive oil in a skillet over a high heat
- Stir in your shallots and sauté them for about 5 minutes until they have softened. Add your carrot and tomato paste and remove it from heat.
- Let the mixture cool down a little, then stir in your chicken, rice, thyme and parsley, as well as some salt and pepper to taste.
- For your peppers: Cut the top of each bell pepper and remove the core.
- Stuff each pepper with your chicken mixture and place it in your crockpot.
- Pour your water and ketchup in the pot and also add the bay leaves.
- Switch on your crockpot and cook your stuffed bell peppers on ‘low’ for 8½ hours.
- Serve your peppers warm and topped with sour cream.
Calories: 346 | Fat: 12.5g | Protein: 35.9g | Carbohydrates: 21.3g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8.5g
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Gluten-free… 101 Crockpots!, which is available below!
YOUR ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO FANTASTIC SLOW-COOKED GLUTEN-FREE MEALS COOKED WHILE YOU SLEEP! Want to create delicious gluten-free soups, roasts, breakfasts, bread and casseroles with ease? Then you will LOVE this simple stress-free guide to gluten-free crockpot cooking! Includes easy step-by-step instructions, cooking tips and simple recipes for 101 original and scrumptious gluten-free slow-cooked crockpot feasts while you sleep! BONUS: EXTRA COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →
YOUR ULTIMATE GUIDE TO FANTASTIC GLUTEN-FREE DESSERTS AND SLOW-COOKED GLUTEN-FREE MEALS COOKED WHILE YOU SLEEP! This bundle of three cookbooks is full of delicious recipes for gluten-free soups, roasts, breakfasts, bread and casseroles, pies, muffins, brownies and puddings with ease. You will LOVE this simple stress-free guide to gluten-free cooking which includes more than 250 step-by-step, delicious and simple recipes while saving you 50%! BONUS: EXTRA XMAS RECIPE COOKBOOK INSIDE! More info →