Johnny Appleseed Muffins
The taste sensation created by the rhubarb juice, applesauce and grated orange peel in these DASH Diet muffins is simply out of this world!
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1¼ cups chopped rhubarb
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350°F fan-forced (175°C). While you wait, take some paper liners and line your muffin pan.
- In a bowl, combine your salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and flours together and stir to mix well.
- In another bowl, add your orange juice, orange peel, applesauce, canola oil, and egg whites. Use a mixer to beat so it becomes smooth.
- Add this to your flour mixture from step 2 and blend it so that it is still a little lumpy. Stir in your chopped rhubarb.
- Spoon this batter into the cups in your muffin pan, filling each so that they are about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle your pecans on top of each muffin and then bake them so they become springy to the touch. This will take around 25 minutes.
- When these are done, let them cool for 5 minutes before moving them over to a wire rack and letting cool down completely before serving.
Fiber: 2g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Carbohydrate: 26g | Sodium: 190mg
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Salt-lite… in 30 Minutes!, which is available below!
This life-changing low-salt cookbook will show you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT USING DIET TO REDUCE YOUR CHANCES OF STROKE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEART ATTACK, and still keeping the TASTE in every single meal you eat! It includes a complete two-week flexible DASH Diet meal planner with 54 recipes for FULL-FLAVORED low-salt breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts! More info →