Las Vegas Calzone
This low-salt recipe is no gamble at all. Calzones are wonderful – they are like pizzas folded in half which you can eat in one hand without spilling anything! Not only that, but the calzone pocket lets you add additional healthy ingredients. With this recipe, your house always wins!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 2
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup spinach, chopped
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 sliced tomato
- Preheat your oven to 400°F fan-forced (205°C). Coat a baking sheet with healthy cooking spray.
- For your filling: In a bowl, add your garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, and asparagus. Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil on top of the ingredients and toss them so they are mixed up.
- Meanwhile, heat up a frying pan on your stove-top over high heat. Add in your vegetable mix from step 2 and let it sauté (spray the pan with cooking oil and cook it over high heat, not letting it stick to the pan) for 5 minutes, stirring often. After 5 minutes, take it off the heat, cover it and put it aside.
- Sprinkle some flour onto your bench-top and cut your dough in half. Shape each piece of dough into a circle and then roll each into an ‘oval’ with a rolling pin. Add half of your vegetables, some cheese, and half of your tomato slices onto each oval.
- Using wet fingers, gently rub the edges of each dough round and then fold the sides of each piece of dough over the top of the filling, making sure to press the edges together. Finally, press down on the edges with a fork before putting the calzone onto your baking sheet. Repeat with the other calzone.
- Brush both calzones with your olive oil and then place them into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the calzone is brown.
- While your calzone is heating up, warm the sauce in your microwave to your preference. Put your finished calzones onto a plate, drizzle with the pizza sauce and enjoy!
Fiber: 4g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Carbohydrate: 34g | Sodium: 535mg
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Salt-lite… in 30 Minutes!, which is available below!
This life-changing low-salt cookbook will show you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT USING DIET TO REDUCE YOUR CHANCES OF STROKE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEART ATTACK, and still keeping the TASTE in every single meal you eat! It includes a complete two-week flexible DASH Diet meal planner with 54 recipes for FULL-FLAVORED low-salt breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts! More info →