Lone Star Tart
Tarts bring back memories of cold winters nights, warm fireplaces and lots of fun and laughter. It’s amazing what one little DASH Diet dessert recipe with one big taste can do!
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 8
- 4 peeled and sliced apples
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ½ cup dried cranberries,
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1¼ cups whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- ¼ cup ice water
- Preheat your oven to 375°F fan-forced (190°C).
- For your filling: Combine your apple juice and cranberries in a bowl and cook them in the microwave for about 1 minute. Stir and then heat again in repeated 30-second intervals until your juice becomes hot. Cover and then set aside until it cools to room temperature.
- Combine your apple slices and cornstarch in another bowl. Toss the apple to coat it thoroughly before adding the juice and cranberries (from step 2) and mixing well. Stir in your cinnamon and vanilla before setting aside for now.
- For your crust: In a bowl, combine your sugar and flour and use a pastry cutter to add in the margarine and create a ‘crumbly’ texture. Add your ice water a little at a time and mix using a fork, so that it begins to form a rough mass of dough.
- Tape some foil to your counter and sprinkle it with flour. Place your dough on the foil and flatten it with your hands. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 13 inch circle.
- Place your fruit filling into the middle of the dough and spread it out evenly all over the base. Fold your crust edges up and then over the pastry. Sprinkle sugar over the top.
- Cover your tart with another piece of foil. Move it to a baking sheet and then bake it for 20 minutes. After this, remove the top foil and continue to bake for another 5 minutes (or whatever it needs). Cut into 8 pieces and serve immediately!
Fiber: 3g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Carbohydrate: 35g | Sodium: 52mg
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Salt-lite… in 30 Minutes!, which is available below!
This life-changing low-salt cookbook will show you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT USING DIET TO REDUCE YOUR CHANCES OF STROKE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEART ATTACK, and still keeping the TASTE in every single meal you eat! It includes a complete two-week flexible DASH Diet meal planner with 54 recipes for FULL-FLAVORED low-salt breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts! More info →