Old West Beef Chili
Beef chili is a timeless classic, and for a good reason – it’s fantastic! Enjoyed by countless cowboys over the years on the range, now you can have your own low-salt taste of the Old West.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 8
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups canned kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Jalapeno peppers
- One old boot (just kidding!)
- In a big soup pot, add your onion and ground beef. Sauté these ingredients so that the beef turns brown and your onion turns translucent (it looks almost clear). Drain off any excess liquid before starting the next step.
- Add your chili powder, sugar, celery, kidney beans, and tomatoes to the pot. Cook it all for 10 minutes (with the lid on), making sure to stir it all often.
- After 10 minutes is up, add water to your chili until it reaches the consistency that you want. Stir in your cornmeal and cook for another 10 minutes to give the flavors enough time to blend.
- When you are done, ladle your chili into warm bowls and garnish with the jalapeno peppers (careful, they can be hot!) before serving immediately.
Fiber: 10g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 8g | Carbohydrate: 27g | Sodium: 348mg
This recipe is an excerpt from the cookbook Make Me Salt-lite… in 30 Minutes!, which is available below!
This life-changing low-salt cookbook will show you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT USING DIET TO REDUCE YOUR CHANCES OF STROKE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEART ATTACK, and still keeping the TASTE in every single meal you eat! It includes a complete two-week flexible DASH Diet meal planner with 54 recipes for FULL-FLAVORED low-salt breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts! More info →